To achieve TREC’s vision of a world-class and livable North Texas region for all, TREC advocates for public policies which promote long-term economic growth and vitality as well as quality of life across the region. We engage in policy issues which impact the commercial real estate industry and the public good in a significant way to build the city we’ve imagined.
A clear and streamlined process for growth and development helps developers big and small participate in building unique, inviting, valuable places that in turn contribute to the vibrancy of our neighborhoods and city centers alike.
- TREC was instrumental in instituting a quarterly stakeholder meeting with City staff to address ongoing challenges and opportunities within the development process.
We advocate for policy tools that stimulate the economy and promote responsible and sustainable development such Tax Increment Financing and Public Improvement Districts, programs that provide tools for retrofitting existing infrastructure, public-private partnerships, and tax abatements. Additionally, we advocate upon important policy categories including mobility, education and housing as well as land use regulation that significantly impacts economic development:
- Land use regulation
- Public finance, investment and taxes
Public Finance, Investment & Taxes
A moderate, balanced and stable tax structure contributes to the positive business climate necessary for Texas to compete in a world economy.
- TREC tracks state and local tax policy, including property tax, franchise tax, and sales price disclosure
- In 2017, TREC was also part of a coalition of business organizations working to promote resolution of the City of Dallas’ pension crisis.
Reasonable Land Use
TREC is dedicated to protecting and expanding our land resources and promoting a healthy, growing city while avoiding undue burden on the development community.
- As part of a coalition of stakeholders, TREC worked with the City of Dallas to ensure the Article X Tree and Parkland Dedication Ordinance provide developers the flexibility to reach the mutually agreeable result of tree preservation and providing park land and amenities to Dallas residents.
Visionary thinking on transportation and its relationship to the economic growth of our region is a priority of TREC. Future planning must promte multimodal transportation options encouraging vibrancy, sustainability and inclusivity in our City.
- TREC supports the City of Dallas’ efforts to hone a comprehensive transportation strategy.
- TREC tracks current and potential subjects including TXDOT’s and NCTCOG’s regional highway planning, DART’s D2 subway and bus system and the Dallas Streetcar in addition to statewide transportation funding legislation.
Access to housing for all members of our community is essential to a healthy economy. Addressing the continuous gap in and growing need for adequate housing at a range of incomes requires neighborhood-specific strategies, a variety of tools, and a comprehensive approach.
- TREC offered a “toolkit of options to encourage mixed-income housing” to the City of Dallas in 2016. Many of the ideas and tools presented were included in Dallas Comprehensive Housing Policy adopted in 2018.
Public education is important to TREC members as strong schools are vital to a healthy business climate, sustainable development and thriving neighborhoods.
- Our PAC supports and endorses Dallas ISD candidates who commit to what’s in the best interests of all students.
- TREC supports strategies that improve student outcomes, track progress, and provide transparency and accountability as well as access to quality schools for all.