WHAT IS RECIPE OAK CLIFF?
Recipe OC is a to-go juice bar and fresh food market.
- Owned and managed by Tisha Crear, a long-time neighborhood resident and minority, woman entrepreneur, Recipe OC is a cozy 1000-square-foot space that houses a juice bar, market, and shared commercial kitchen space.
- It offers a range of vegan, plant-based drinks and eats such as fresh juice, smoothies, tea, as well as, breakfast, lunch, dinner, catering, classes and more!
- The Recipe OC food philosophy is to highlight interpretations of cultural and ‘ethnic’ family style and street foods.
WHY IS RECIPE OAK CLIFF IMPORTANT?
Recipe OC offers a fresh food concept for the food desert neighborhood of 75216.
- The business is part of the Vermont Village neighborhood’s community retail district, which has seen minimal development in the last 30 years.
- The abandoned building Recipe OC repurposed will spur entrepreneurial activity, create jobs and provide healthy food options for a food desert.
- Recipe OC is a delicious food venture of The Susu Cultural Business Incubator, which addresses food security issues and supports health food entrepreneurs in South Oak Cliff, Texas.
HOW WAS RECIPE OAK CLIFF MADE POSSIBLE?
Recipe OC is made possible through a loan from The Real Estate Council (TREC) Community Fund and the Embrey Family Foundation.
- TREC Community Fund provided a $213,000 loan in partnership with Embrey Family Foundation’s program related investment (PRI) to acquire and rehab the property, along with working capital to start the business operations.
- More than 20 TREC members supported the project, from assessment of the business model and site selection to construction management and property tax assessment.
WHEN CAN I VISIT?
- TREC Community Fund is hosting Recipe OC’s grand opening on the spring of 2017. Date to be announced soon!
- Recipe OC is open Thursday – Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Extended hours will be announced.
Interested in learning more? Read The Recipe for success in Southern Dallas in the Dallas Business Journal.
The Real Estate Council Community Fund is a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) that provides access to capital and technical assistance for commercial real estate projects for low- and moderate-income communities in Dallas and Collin Counties.
Embrey Family Foundation has a mission is to cultivate human rights awareness and advance social justice initiatives nationally, with a passion for collaborative connections that support healthy initiatives.