Join the Competition
The Real Estate Council (TREC) Community Fund is hosting its second Shark Tank competition (download our call for projects here). We are calling for real estate projects aimed at driving economic development in Southern Dallas in the footprint of the City of Dallas’s GrowSouth Initiative. Teams seeking to impact areas within the GrowSouth footprint will answer our call for proposals, and if selected, receive feedback from TREC’s seasoned development experts to refine their proposals.
February 22: Call for project proposals
March 6: Information session (Register here)
March 15: Letter of Intent due
April–May: Real Estate 101 Bootcamps (required)
April 30: Final proposal due
May 4: Semifinalists selected and paired with member mentor teams
May to June: Commercial real estate advisers provide support and semifinalists refine investment proposals
June 29: Semifinalists pitch to Selection Committee to select Finalists
September 4: Finalist pitch presentations due to TREC Community Fund
September 27: Live TREC Shark Tank event at Gilley’s Dallas
- Site Location: Site is located within the footprint of the GrowSouth Initiative.
- Development Type: Proposal may be new construction or rehabilitation in multifamily, single-family (minimum of 20 units), residential, retail, hospitality, healthcare, office, leisure and industrial.
- Site Control: This is required. At minimum, a contract for site acquisition must be outstanding through the duration of the competition with an option to extend until the closing of any potential investment received.
- Community Support: Demonstrate community support of the proposal.
- Competitive Returns: Provide an assessment of the market-based investment return anticipated for the investor.
- Size of Project & Investment: A specific minimum investment is not defined; competitive projects will call for an investment of approximately $500,000 to $2 million.
- Team Experience: Though experience is valued, demonstrated expertise is not required. All chosen projects will be paired with an advisory team to support and enhance the proposal.
THERE WILL BE NO GUARANTEE OF INVESTMENT THROUGH THIS COMPETITION. RATHER, THE COMPETITION IS DESIGNED TO SERVE AS A FORUM TO ENCOURAGE DEVELOPMENT IDEAS, PROVIDE TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE AND PROMOTE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IN THE GROWSOUTH FOOTPRINT. THE INVESTORS SHALL NOT BE BOUND TO ACCEPT ANY PROJECT AND RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REJECT ANY AND ALL PROJECTS WITHOUT STATING A REASON WHATSOEVER.