Earlier this month, members of The Real Estate Council Political Action Committee (TREC PAC) and our Public Policy Committee traveled to Austin to participate in RECsTX Lobby Day with other real estate councils from across Texas.
Attendees included TREC PAC Chair Scott Rohrman (42 Real Estate), Public Policy Committee Chair Michael Blackwell (Mill Creek Residential), Kevin Bryant (Crow Holdings), Gerald Dunn (Benchmark Title), Matt Enzler (Trammell Crow Residential), Ryan Garcia (JES Holdings), Justin Goertz (Invoke Tax Partners), Mattye Jones (Coats Rose), Frank Mihalopoulos (Corinth Properties), Katie O’Brien (Trinity Public Affairs), Jim Reynolds, Courtney Spellicy (E3 Collective), and Nick Walsh (NRP Group).
Our group met with several of our region’s elected officials to discuss the most pressing issues the commercial real estate industry faces as the Texas state legislative session begins:
- Housing Affordability: Legislation to improve predictability within the development process, eliminate unnecessary regulations, and ensure fees for development are reasonable, which will encourage the development of diverse housing options at various price points for all Texas.
- Economic Development and Responsible Growth: Economic incentive programs to attract new businesses to Texas and other tools to stimulate the economy and promote responsible and sustainable development without undue regulation.
- Infrastructure: Forward-thinking and flexible legislation to address our state’s transportation and mobility needs, water storage and access, a reliable electric grid, and emergency infrastructure for all Texans.
- Protection of Private Property Rights: Preservation of existing protections such as Chapter 245 of the Texas Local Government Code (Vested Rights) and the Private Real Property Rights Preservation Act (PRPRPA).
- Tax Policy: A moderate, balanced, and stable tax structure that creates the positive business climate necessary for Texas to compete in a world economy.
We would specifically like to recognize Rep. Mihaela Plesa (D-HD70), Sen. Nathan Johnson (D-SD16), Sen. Angela Paxton (R-SD8), Rep. Matt Shaheen (R-HD66), and thank all of the other elected officials and their staffs for meeting with our members. We look forward to working alongside them all as we continue to advocate for our industry throughout the year.
Check out photos from our RECsTx Lobby Day trip to Austin below.