The Real Estate Council celebrated its 30th anniversary in 2020 amid the start of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, but as you’ll see within the pages of our Annual Report, our members, member companies, and community partners made plenty of progress toward a bright future for our industry and city. This year’s report is full of memories from the year that was, and we hope you are as excited as we are about all that awaits in the decade ahead.
Here are a few highlights from 2020:
- Work on the Dallas Collaborative for Equitable Development (DCED) began as real estate project teams made up of volunteer TREC members were deployed to our partner organizations within the Forest District, The Bottom, and West Dallas-Census Tract 205 neighborhoods.
- Our “Out of This World” Young Guns Casino Night raised more than $57,000 in support of the 2020 Young Guns Project to construct the We Creation Innovation Center alongside St. Philip’s School and Community Center as part of the Dallas Catalyst Project (DCP).
- Despite the pandemic, our Associate Leadership Council Class of 2020 completed its program and — in June 2021 — community investment project, a DCP partnership with Cornerstone Baptist Church to open Southpoint Community Market
- As the pandemic unfolded, our board members and other top CRE executives began holding monthly virtual roundtable discussions about the state of the industry and recovery of the markets. Replays of each roundtable are available to all members as episodes of our podcast.
- We formed a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee to explore ways to create opportunity for all within our organization and our city’s commercial real estate industry.
- Our board members voted to unite The Real Estate Council Foundation and TREC Community Fund under a new entity, TREC Community Investors, which oversees our organization’s catalytic neighborhood revitalization efforts in Dallas’ underserved communities as well as our loans, professional services work, and educational programs for nonprofits and aspiring real estate entrepreneurs. A new website for TREC Community Investors is being developed and will launch sometime in 2021.
You may download a PDF of the Annual Report here or read it below.